Monday 7 January 2013

The Weekly Wrap 12/31


Monday 12/31 - Spent most of today driving down to Charleston to visit some friends and celebrate NYE. However, after I had gotten ready and was waiting on everyone else, my guilty conscience drove me to start what I hope will turn out to be a two part blog post eventually.

Had some crazy apocalypse-looking weather on the way down. 

Photographic representation of the rest of my night. 

Tuesday 1/1/13 - It's so strange to write 2013. Time flies. To celebrate, I spent the day curled in the fetal position on the couch.

Wednesday 1/2/13 - Today was the dreaded ride back, physically and mentally, to the real world. Coming back after the holidays is like a giant reality slap to the face and I'm never prepared for it. Still broke, still struggling, basically in the same position I was in before I left. No amount of presents or celebrating changes that, but I can pride myself on the fact that I got a legitimate amount of work done. I arrived home and had a near panic attack, so I cleaned out the apartment from top to bottom to alleviate the anxiety.

Thursday 1/3/13 - Now I'm back to work, feeling totally guilty and terrible for those two days I didn't write anything. Some of my Christmas presents are watching me with their judgmental eyes:

Jerks.



"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the dont's. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the wont's. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be." 
-Shel Silverstein 

Trying to capture that moment of unadulterated bliss I felt driving down to SC, the whole road open before me, feeling like I could take myself anywhere with my writing. Calm down, breathe. You will make do. It's going to be okay. 

Now get back to work. 

Friday 1/4/13 - Chugging along this morning. Starting to feel that beginning of the year blues where you realize there's nothing really worth celebrating until the summer. 

Saturday 1/5/13 - Had to take Sara to the airport today, made for a sad day. Always reminds me of the quote in Code Name Verity: 

"It's like being in love, discovering your best friend." 

Chapter 4 has really been running me around. I feel like the timeline is all kinds of wonky so I'm having to rewrite a lot of this chapter. 

Sunday 1/6/13 - A foggy, disgusting Sunday morning, perfectly tailored for the moody type of writing I need to do today. I'm really feeling it today, like no matter how much I type, I'm slogging my words through mud and sand and they just keep dragging farther and farther away from what I actually want to say. 


"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout with a painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand." 
-George Orwell

George, you said it today. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining because I hate doing this. I love it when the writing comes easily. It's like giving my mind a complicated puzzle to solve, to see how the final picture turns out, but when it doesn't come easy...Well, any writer can tell you about those dark days. 

I did break through Chapter 4 today so that is one small victory. Chapter 5 is a lengthy sucker, but it's a less introspective chapter. There's more action and I'm excited to finesse it. 

See you next week! 

-E 

No comments:

Post a Comment