Monday 9 April 2012

Chapter 1 - I May Be An Idiot

I've let this blog go too long without posts and without any promotion. Oh hey, zero followers! Time to start working toward something. For once.

Here's the deal, y'all. I want to be a writer. I want to be able to share the stories I have and perhaps inspire something (laughter, tears, some sort of emotion) in someone else. That's all I really want. I want the space to be creative and an environment that offers me new things every day.

Right now, I work a Joe-Schmoe 9 to 5. I hate it. It is soul crushing. I took the job straight out of college (where I did everything BUT take an English class because apparently my 19-year-old brain thought Biology was more practical) and have been stuck here ever since. I'm coming up on a year of my employment at Soul Crushing, Inc.

Things have to change. See those posts I put up back in October of last year? I'm still working on the manuscript. I wrote some that month but really dug my heels in during NaNoWrimo and cranked out near 40K. The problem was after November, life got in the way. Or better yet, I let life get in the way.

And that's not alright. I'm cheating myself and everything I aspire to be by not giving my time and dedication to a craft I greatly admire.

So I'm quitting. I'm taking my 401K and my business pants and my stupid smothering boss and I'm kicking all of it to the curb. I am 22-goddamn-years-old. I am too young to already be unhappy with my career choice. I'm single(ish), without children, and the only real responsibility I have is to myself and my needy Greyhound. That's it.

I don't know if this will make me more accountable or if blogging will simply keep the creative juices flowing - because God knows looking at spreadsheets isn't - but I'm willing to try.

So this is me owning up to what I want. I went to college for a degree I'm interested in but not necessarily as passionate about as I am about writing. I've been writing for as long as I can remember. I can't imagine a life without it and I'm kicking myself now that I didn't have the foresight or strength of self to own up to it in college and take the classes I should have been taking. I want to write and I'm going to. I don't care if that means quitting my job at Soul Crushing, Inc and doing something part-time for a while. I'll wait tables. I'll make do. I was broke for four years in college and I had a great time. I'll figure it out.

This is not me giving up on the professional world or taking the easy way out because I can't handle a 40 hr work week. Actually, I think this is the hard way. I'm setting myself up for a world of rejection, but I'm willing to do it because I truly believe I have a shot at this. And I have something to say. I have a story just itching to get out.

Working Title: Momentum
Word Count: ~40,000 words
Goal: 90,000 by June 1st

Let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment